Thursday, June 26, 2008

The Helpful Friend Outside the Wedding Party

I don't know most of my sister's current friends. Before wedding planning started we saw each other once every year or so since we're both really busy and live a few hours apart, so whenever we DID get together we usually didn't hang out with anyone else so we could catch up in peace. I, of course, had heard about most of them, but until she made me maid of honor and gave me the contact information for her bridesmaids I didn't have any faces to put with the stories. I'm still getting to know them and it's fun, even if sometimes they drive me batty.



My hands-down favorite person, though, is not a bridesmaid at all. She harbors no grudges about it and is totally into helping me as if she was an attendant, it's just amazing! Granted, we really hit it off, I rarely have so much in common with a woman and I hope we stay friends well beyond the wedding (she said the same thing, too), so I'm sure that's part of why she is willing to do so much. She also dearly loves my sister and would do anything for her, which endears her to me even more.



Last night, after the bachelorette fiasco of finding out the restaurant was not going to work out, I called her up to commiserate with me (she was really excited about going there). Then I took a chance and asked if she had any ideas. I had come up with a few from online searches but thought it would be smart to ask a local, and wouldn't you know it? She immediately said her first choice would be the same one I had picked as my first choice on my list!



Since we were clicking on the food ideas I figured I should ask her about places to go bar-hopping, which is a hard task because most guests are in their 30s-40s and there is one 19 year old in the mix. Without a second thought she spouted out a bunch of places that sound perfect for us! She said she's going to write up a list and we'll figure out a good itinerary together for the night when I get back from vacation.I can't tell you how much better I feel now! She's taken away so many of my worries and I think this may actually work out to be a great party (again).



Plus, the restaurant we picked is already open!

1 comment:

DIY Bride said...

Hey, it's Joan from iVillage... just wanted you to know that I finally found your blog ;) and I'm adding it to mine in a new post, plus I'll see if I can add it to a "favorite sites" module.

I thought your sister's wedding was yesterday... if so I hope it went well and congratulations to her (and you for pulling it all off)!